When I was a child, we covered shoe boxes with brown paper and pasted colorful paper doilies and construction paper hearts onto the outside of the box to make a Valentine’s Day Greeting card box. Today there are many, many ways to decorate Valentine’s greeting card boxes. You don’t even need to use a shoebox, you can decorate a gift bag as as shown below. A Valentine’s Card mailbox craft is perfect for kids to complete before they share candy and cards on Valentine’s Day.
Visit Giggles Galore for instructions for Valentine’s Monster greeting card box.
Duct Tape Valentine’s Box
Instructions and photo by Michael’s Craft Store. These directions are for the Valentine’s Box on the top in the photo above.
- Shoe Box (or other box with removable lid)
- White Duck Tape
- Foam heart stickers
- Pink Polka Dot Duck Tape
- Retractable Utility Knife
- Glue Stick
- Sharpie Marker
- Leave the lid on the box and attach a strip of White Duck Tape horizontally around the center of the outside of the box.
- Remove the lid and set aside.
- Draw a curlicue line in the center of the White Duck Tape strip all of the way around the box.
- Embellish the top and bottom edges of the Duck Tape strip with foam heart stickers. Set aside.
- Cover the lid of the box with Pink Polka Dot Duck Tape.
- Cut a large slit opening with the utility knife.
- Add a foam heart sticker to each side of the opening on the lid and draw an arrow on the outer side of each heart with a Sharpie® marker.
- Write the child’s name near the opening with a Sharpie marker.
XOXO Valentine’s Mailbox Instructions:
Use an empty cereal box, freezer paper, some felt letters and hearts to make this simple, and cheap Valentine’s Mailbox.
- Empty Cereal box
- White Freezer Paper (you can buy this at the grocery store)
- Felt hearts and letters
- Glue Stick
- Tape the top of the cereal box closed.
- Cover the cereal box with freezer paper just like you were wrapping a present.
- Cut a long slit in the one front panel of the box. Make the slit wide enough for a card to be pushed through, about 1/2″ high.
- Decorate the box by using the glue stick to stick on hearts and letters. If you don’t want to spend the money on felt hearts and letters, cut them out of construction paper.
Luv Bug Valentine’s Day Card Bag
You may purchase this as a kit from Oriental Trading Company or use your own supplies and our instructions below. You can’t buy just one kit from OTC and you would need to buy a lot of 12. This Valentine’s card bag can easily be made by using our instructions and craft supplies you have on hand or buy at your local craft store.
Supplies Needed: a pink bag with handles, foam hearts in various sizes, glue, one sheet of red construction paper, a single sheet of red felt, a single large pink pom pom (or cotton ball if you don’t have a pom pom), two small pink pom poms, silver pipe cleaner, and a pair of googly eyes.
Instructions: Cut four red construction paper strips, 1″ wide by the length of the paper. Fold each the strip accordion style. Glue a medium size, red foam heart to the end of each strip. Cut a large heart from the single sheet of red felt. If you want to make it more stable, cut the same size of cardboard and glue the heart onto it. Cut a mouth opening in the the heart and in the bag (as shown). Staple or glue the large heart onto the bag, matching up the mouth. Using the photo above, decorate the front of the bag by gluing other small hearts. If you staple the heart onto the bag cover the staples by gluing a heart over each staple. Glue the arms and legs onto the bag (as shown).
Owl Valentine Box Card Holder Craft Kit
This foam owl thinks it’s wise to keep your cards in one Valentine’s box! This is a craft kit that may be purchased from Oriental Trading Company. Includes self-adhesive foam pieces. All craft kit pieces are pre-packaged for individual use. These kits include instructions and extra pieces.