Here are some Easy DIY Halloween Kids Costumes you can make with complete instructions. For him, a scary Frankenstein costume and for her, a pretty princess.
Frankenstein Costume Instructions
- 1-gallon milk jug
- green and black acrylic paint
- white felt
- adhesive-backed Velcro
- aluminum foil
- 2 bottle tops
- 2 wine bottle corks
- an old pair of black pants
- an old brown long-sleeve shirt
- strip of burlap
How to Make the Frankenstein Costume:
To Make the Head:
- Cut off the top of gallon milk jug so base is 5″ tall.
- Coat the milk jug base with primer to prevent the acrylic paint from flaking off.
- Let it dry completely.
- Apply green paint and let dry completely.
- Paint the bottom of milk jug base with black paint to cover it completely. Paint long paint brush stroke from the base upwards to create a jagged pattern.
Make Frankenstein Neck Nodes
- Cut a 1-1/2″ wide strip of white felt that measures slightly larger than child’s neck.
- Adhere Velcro tabs to each end. Hot-glue wine cork to inside of bottle cap and cover completely in foil. Hot-glue the nodes you just made about 4″ apart on felt strip.
Make Frankenstein Clothes:
- You can get old pants and a shirt at a Goodwill store to save yourself some money.
- Cut zigzags into bottom of brown pants and sleeves of shirt.
- Tie a ragged strip of burlap around child’s waist as a belt.
Princess Costume Instructions
- Stiff red felt
- hot-glue gun
- organza ribbon
- 1 large gold pompom
- yellow and pink pompoms
- pink tights
- pink long-sleeve shirt
- jumper dress (no sleeves)
- Download the Princess Hat Template
How to Make the Princess Costume
Make the Princess Hat:
- Trace the template onto stiff red felt and cut out.
- Hot-glue cut the felt into a cone shape to fit child’s head.
- Hot-glue two 8″ pieces of ribbon to inside bottom edge of hat and use to tie under chin.
- Cut several 36″ pieces of ribbon and pull through top hole of the hat and knot the ends together inside.
- Hot-glue a large sparkly pompom to pointGlue pompoms around base of hat.
Make the Princess Dress:
- Glue pompoms around collar of dress.
- Put the pink shirt underneath.
Make the Princess Belt:
- Cut a piece of ribbon that measures 20″ longer than your child’s waist size.
- Hot-glue pompoms and pieces of ribbon (long enough to reach hem of dress) around belt.
These instructions were modified from the originally DIY Halloween costume instructions at Parenting.com