The kids loved making these Peppermint “Candy Cane” Whoopie Pies. They are the perfect holiday treat. Make them for your Christmas party or have the kids make them for Santa. Whoopie Pies are great with milk.
The first thing you need to do is make the Whoopie Pie. Then you make the filling.
Whoopie Pie Cake Recipe
This recipe makes 16 Peppermint Candy Cane Whoopie Pies
- Baking Sheets
- two large bowls
- large mixing spoons
- measuring spoons
- measuring cups
- electric mixer
- rolling pin
Whoopie Pie Ingredients:
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- Filling (see below)
- Candy Canes, crushed
Whoopie Pie Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, butter, and eggs together until well combined. Add the oil and vanilla and beat again.
3. In a separate bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. Add half of the dry mixture to the egg mixture and beat or stir until blended. Add 1-1/2 cups milk and beat again. Add the remaining dry mixture and beat until all is mixed well. Add the remaining 1-1/2 cups milk and beat until blended.
4. Drop batter onto a baking sheet using a large tablespoon. You will be baking 32 whoopie pie halves.
5. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the baking from the oven and let cool completely.
Whoopie Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1-1/3 cups marshmallow topping
- Dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk
Whoopie Pie Filling Instructions:
1. In the medium-size bowl, combine all ingredients except the milk and beat on high with an electric mixer.
2. Add just enough milk and beat until you achieve a creamy consistency.
3. Spread filling onto 16 halves and place remaining halves on top, to make 16 Whoopie Pies.
How to Crush Candy Canes:
Break candy canes into pieces. Place candy canes in a zip-top bag. Use a rolling pin and roll to crush or use the pin like a hammer and pound to crush the candy canes. Crush them until you have small pieces but not until you have candy cane dust.
How to Rim Whoopie Pies with Crushed Candy Canes
1. Place crushed candy canes on a large, flat plate.
2. Take a finished Whoopie Pie press it together slightly to make the filling ooze out of the edges slightly. Do not press too hard of the Whoopie Pie will break.
3. Tap an edge of the Whoopie Pie onto the plate. Turn the pie slightly and tap again. Continue this process until the entire edge of the Whoopie Pie has been rimmed with crushed candy canes.